You may have heard that the Huntsville City’s Leaf Mulch pile, adjacent to the Huntsville Botanical Garden, is no more and that they are no longer accepting Christmas trees for recycling. If you are wondering what to do with your holiday tree when the festivities are over, here are some creative ideas:
- If you have space, buy a containerized tree and plant it in your yard when the holidays are over.
- “Plant” your live (cut) tree in the backyard and decorate the tree with bird seed, nuts, and fruit and watch the birds enjoy your holiday bounty.
- When the birds are through with it, cut it into short sections and stack it off the ground to cure for firewood during backyard campouts next summer.
- If you know someone who has a lake on their property, weight the tree and sink it in deep water for an excellent fish spawning habitat.
- Know someone with a chipper? Get them to grind it into mulch for use in the landscape. Maybe this is something your neighborhood could arrange.
- You can also hang your natural wreaths on trees, they make excellent bird houses for nesting.
We at the Huntsville Botanical Garden hope these recycling options help you be a little greener this holiday season! Let recycling your Christmas tree become a holiday tradition!
For any question or comments please feel free to call us at 256-830-4447 or email us at email@example.com.