The Huntsville Botanical Garden is a growing non-profit organization located in Alabama. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. The Garden does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Current Positions Available:
Job Postings as of: 7.21.17
Development Officer Department: Advancement
- Employment Type: Full-time
- Benefits: Available
- Start Date: August, 2017
- Schedule: Primary schedule of standard business hours with periodic evening and weekend availability required to attend community events and support events and activities hosted by the Garden.
- General Summary: Supports the ongoing development and execution of the strategic fundraising plans supporting the mission of the Huntsville Botanical Garden. Implements and manages multiple donor development initiatives including corporate and individual sponsorships, development event planning and execution, and ongoing donor relationship communications and activities. Works closely with other members of the Advancement team, the CEO & President, and members of the Garden’s Board of Directors. Works with a high degree of independence, keeping management informed of changes in philanthropic climate, including the goals and interests of corporate and individual donors.
- Duties Include: Development and execution of solicitation strategies for Operating Budget fundraising programs to include corporate sponsorships, individual donations, and other revenue generating events and activities to meet and exceed the Advancement departmental budget; Maintains processes to provide ongoing documentation of donor development activity; Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of current and prospective donors; Document all sponsorships and pledges to insure mutual fulfillment of commitments; Support and coordinate Advancement Event activities by working with volunteer committees; Develop and cultivate relationships with community leaders, associated organizations and members of the various Garden Boards of Directors to provide support for the promotion and expansion of the Garden.
- Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent related experience) with 3-5 years of professional fundraising or consultative sales experience. Prior direct or in-direct (Board participation) in a non-profit environment participating in fundraising programs such as annual giving, capital campaigns, special projects, grants, planned giving, fundraising events or endowments is strongly preferred. Strong computer skills with prior experience utilizing the Microsoft Officer Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Pointe. Prior experience with CRM’s is highly desirable.
- Skills: Has the ability, desire, and confidence to interact effectively with varied constituencies, including cold-calling prospects. Demonstrated ability in successfully establishing and building relationships resulting in closing sales or gifts. Self-motivated team player who demonstrates leadership and initiative. Demonstrated ability in successfully establishing and building relationships and closing sales or gifts. High degree of professionalism required. Dedication, flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed and attention to detail are essential. Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds and work in an outdoor environment.
- Performance Requirements: Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork and effective communication.
Garden Host/Event Staff Department: Facility Rental
- Employment Type: On Call/As Needed (Number of hours available subject to event calendar.)
- Benefits: Not available
- Start Date: Immediate; Multiple positions available
- Schedule: Varies based on rental event calendar; Will include providing support for weekday, weekend and evening shifts. Evening and Weekend availability required.
- Duties Include: Acts as the Garden’s designated representative for events such as business meetings, weddings, receptions, picnics, and other private events. Provides a wide variety of customer service support functions to meet the needs of the client in support of a successful event.
- Experience: Prior experience in the hospitality, retail, or restaurant industries and/or event coordination preferred.
- Skills: Strong people skills and problem solving ability. Ability to work inside and out with extended periods of standing. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Education: High school diploma or GED
- Performance Requirements:Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; Significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork, communication and responsiveness to Garden guests, volunteers and co-workers.
Facility Set-Up & Maintenance Assistant Dept: Operational Services
- Employment Type: On Call/As Needed
- Benefits: Not available
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: Varies; Evening and Weekend availability required. (Some weekdays.) Number of hours available is subject to the event calendar. Mutual flexibility in work schedule.
- Duties Include: Performs event set-up procedures including placing tables, chairs and other furniture/equipment as needed for events. Provides various types of customer service support to meet the needs of a successful event. May include garden/facility closing activities. Performs light maintenance and repair functions to maintain facility amenities. Some understanding of electronics/AV equipment desired.
- Experience: Hospitality or event experience helpful but not required.
- Skills: Ability to work well in a dynamic environment responding to the various needs associated with supporting Facility Rental and Garden events; Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds without assistance.
- Education: High school diploma or GED
- Performance Requirements:Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; Significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork, communication and responsiveness to Garden guests and volunteers.
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
OR Complete Employment Application (available at Guest Center Front Desk).
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of position for which you are applying as well as your recent salary history and requirements. ***