The Huntsville Botanical Garden is a growing non-profit organization located in Alabama. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. The Garden does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Current Positions Available:
Job Postings as of: 12.15.17
Director of Human Resources Department: Human Resources
- Employment Type: Full Time, Exempt position Benefits: Available Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: Primary schedule of standard business hours with occasional evening and weekend availability required to support events and activities hosted by the Garden.
- General Summary: Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Human Resources provides organizational leadership in all employment-related processes while also performing the day-to-day functions of human resources management. As a new position to the organization, the person in this role will be responsible for establishing and developing a formalized HR department, centralizing personnel functions currently supported over several positions. Key to supporting the mission and needs of the Huntsville Botanical Garden, the Director will develop, implement, perform and monitor HR processes to ensure ongoing adherence to all applicable Federal and State employment law. Working with the Garden’s management team, the Director will originate and lead the Garden’s human resources practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, safety, quality, productivity, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of an exceptional workforce.
- Duties Include: Key areas of responsibilities include compliance; recruitment and hiring; employee orientation, training and development; performance appraisals; employee relations; HRIS/personnel records management; compensation; benefits administration; staff recognition; and workforce safety and wellness practices. (For a more detailed description of the responsibilities in each of these areas, a full job description is available upon request.)
- Education and Experience: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional training in Human Resources, Business, Organizational Development or other related field; Minimum of two years of progressive leadership in Human Resources positions; Past performance with a non-profit organization recommended; Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational development, employee relations, safety, training and staff development; Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs; Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement preferred.
- Skills and Abilities: Proven excellence in verbal, written and presentation communication skills; Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills; Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows/Office environment to include ability to effectively utilize Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint. Previous experience with QuickBooks and Attendance-on-Demand beneficial; Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; Ability to apply analytical skills to identify and report upon meaningful trend information; Proven resourcefulness and problem-solving abilities; Demonstrated ability to lead and direct staff members in a fast-paced environment; Demonstrated ability to serve as a successful participant in a management team, providing leadership and direction; Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the organization’s Board of Directors, volunteers and community partners; Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality; Excellent organizational and time-management skills with the ability to multi-task with a high volume of varied functions and responsibilities.
Facility Rental Sales Coordinator Dept: Facility Rental
- Employment Type: Full Time, Non-exempt (hourly position)
- Benefits: Available
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: 36 – 40 hours per week based on seasonal needs; Periodic evening and weekend availability required to support after-hours and weekend appointments. Recurring Saturday office hours anticipated.
- General Summary: Reporting to the Director of Facility Rental, responsible for generating sales for rental of Garden venues to host a wide variety of both private and corporate events such as weddings, receptions, business meetings, parties, luncheons, and more. Performs full cycle of sales activities including but not limited to timely response to inquiries, prospect appointments, contract completion, booked client support, communication of event requirements for effective staff execution of the event, and post-event follow-up. Responsible for driving client/guest loyalty by delivering service excellence throughout each client/guest experience. Effectively utilizes constituent database and other tools for event scheduling and management. Actively contributes to marketing and prospecting methodologies to insure achievement of rental sales revenue budgets. As a valued member of the Facility Rental team, works closely with other Garden staff and volunteers. Represents the Garden in a professional manner at all times supporting the overall standards and objectives of our organization.
- Duties Include: Proactive solicitation of rental sales opportunities for indoor and outdoor Garden venues; Works closely with potential clients to match their needs to the appropriate venue and services; Communicates in a timely professional manner with prospects and clients to provide support and manage expectations; Provides a high level of professional customer service, working with all clients to support management of events to be hosted at the Garden to include but not limited to point of inquiry, quoting rates, contract development, detailing of needs, audio visual requirements, communication of group requirements to host staff, billing activities and follow-up; Directly responsible for fully documenting the details of the client’s event and effectively communicating those requirements to the appropriate staff and service providers; Achieves personal and team related revenue goals while also insuring a standard of excellence in service and execution; Identifies ways to maximize revenue opportunities through package sales and other support services; Assists in maintaining departmental understanding of the current marketplace for rental venues and pricing; Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new clients to enable future bookings; Develops relationships within the community and associated service providers to strengthen and expand the customer base for rental sales opportunities.
- Experience: Minimum of 2-years in client services sales, with strong preference for event-related sales in the hospitality, catering, attraction, or food & beverage industries. Background must demonstrate success in the full cycle of sales activities, client relationship development, utilization of professional communication tools, and achievement of revenue-generation action plans with measurable results.
- Skills: Demonstrated excellence in sales, customer service, negotiation, time management, problem solving and resourcefulness. Proficient computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and utilization of a database program. Must be self-motivated and results driven. Detail-oriented with emphasis on highly skilled verbal and written communications, maintaining well documented, accurate, organized and up-to-date records.
- Education: Minimum of High school diploma or equivalent with at least some college or professional training preferred.
- Performance Requirements: Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork and effective communication.
Irrigation Coordinator Department: Horticulture
- Employment Type: Full-time
- Benefits: Available
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: Varying shifts based upon operating hours and needs of organization, Weekend and evening availability required. Requires consistent availability to work as scheduled, including opening and closing shifts.
- Job Summary: Perform daily maintenance of the Garden irrigation systems including needed repairs and planning for preventive maintenance. Maintain records of installations and repairs performed, as well as a current list of needed upgrades and an inventory of available irrigation parts and equipment used for maintenance. Work in cooperation with Horticulture and other staff members to support the needs of our visitors, volunteers and others who come to the Garden.
- Duties Include: Assess and implement irrigation system repairs in a timely and effective manner; Schedule and perform irrigation duties as required; Leaves irrigation repair areas neat and clean, insuring any safety issues are addressed which included but is not limited to covering any holes prior to leaving the work area; Work directly with Turf Coordinator and/or Horticulture department management to perform lawn maintenance or other duties as required to meet the needs of garden operations.
- Experience: 2-4 years of hands-on irrigation maintenance experience in a professional capacity; Prior experience utilizing various types of mechanical landscaping equipment highly desired.
- Skills: Demonstrates good time-management, safety practices, problem solving and dependability.
- Education: High school diploma or GED; or 1-2 years related work experience.
- Physical Demands: Must be able to work in an outdoor environment in all weather conditions for extended periods. Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting equipment (up to 75 pounds unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking. Must be able to safely use manual tools, and power equipment, common in the landscaping trades.
- Performance Requirements: Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; Significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork, communication and responsiveness to Garden guests and volunteers.
Guest Services Associate Department: Guest Services
- Employment Type: On Call/As Needed
- Benefits: Not available
- Start Date: Immediately
- Schedule: Schedule based on seasonal needs of Guest Services; Schedule will be based on hours of operation of the Garden and may include a combination of weekday, weekend and evening hours. Weekend and evening availability required.
- Duties Include: Working at the Admissions & Information or Gift Shop Sales desks in the Guest Center, greet and direct Garden guests; process admissions and Gift Shop sales; prepare and reconcile daily deposits; answer incoming calls; answer questions and problem solve; perform opening and closing procedures
- Experience: Retail sales, cash handling, knowledge of POS system, deposit processing
- Skills: Excellent customer service skills and problem solving ability. Organized, detail-oriented, and proven ability to multi-task. Ability to maintain a positive and professional approach in unpredictable circumstances. Ability to move or lift up to 40 pounds.
- Education: High school diploma or GED
- Performance Requirements:Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; Significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork, communication and responsiveness to Garden guests, volunteers, and co-workers.
Garden Host/Event Staff Department: Facility Rental
- Employment Type: On Call/As Needed (Number of hours available subject to event calendar.)
- Benefits: Not available
- Start Date: Immediate; Multiple positions available
- Schedule: Varies based on rental event calendar; Will include providing support for weekday, weekend and evening shifts. Evening and Weekend availability required.
- Duties Include: Acts as the Garden’s designated representative for events such as business meetings, weddings, receptions, picnics, and other private events. Provides a wide variety of customer service support functions to meet the needs of the client in support of a successful event.
- Experience: Prior experience in the hospitality, retail, or restaurant industries and/or event coordination preferred.
- Skills: Strong people skills and problem solving ability. Ability to work inside and out with extended periods of standing. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Education: High school diploma or GED
- Performance Requirements:Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; Significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork, communication and responsiveness to Garden guests, volunteers and co-workers.
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
OR Complete Employment Application (available at Guest Center Front Desk).
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of position for which you are applying as well as your recent salary history and requirements. ***