Service Animal Policy
The Huntsville Botanical Garden does not allow pets on Garden grounds, unless for a specified event or festival. Service animals are permitted in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) during all operating hours. Service animals are defined by the ADA as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
- The animal must be under the handler’s control at all times.
- The animal must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered unless these devices interfere with the animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using the devices. Leashes must be no more than six feet long. In cases of device or leash-length interference, the handler must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
- The animal must stay on paths.
- The animal must be housebroken and limit relief to paved outdoor areas. The animal handler is responsible for prompt removal and disposal of waste in designated trash receptacles.
- The animal must not demonstrate disruptive, agitated, or aggressive behavior, including but not limited to barking, whining, biting, growling, jumping, scratching, leash pulling, sniffing, or any harassment of HBG visitors or staff.
- The animal must not harass, injure, damage, sever, mutilate, or kill any animal, tree, planting, flower, shrub or other vegetation.
HBG Staff will request that the handler correct the animal’s behavior if a service animal is not compliant with these guidelines. If the handler does not take effective action to control the animal, HBG staff will request that the animal be removed from Garden grounds. In these cases, handlers will be able to continue their visit, or request another date to visit, without the animal.
Photography in the Garden
- Huntsville Botanical Garden encourages its visitors to take causal photographs and videos of their visit for their own personal use. Personal photographs and videos may not be used for commercial purposes.
- Photography sessions must not interfere with the enjoyment of other guests or responsibilities of Garden staff. Sessions should not interrupt private events or create any safety concerns. Please stay on paths or grassy areas so that plants are not damaged.
- While visiting the Garden, you may be filmed, videotaped, and/or photographed by a Garden employee or designated photographer. Your attendance serves as permission for the use of your image by the Garden.
- Reservations are made through the Facility Rental office. For professional photography, the Garden charges a sitting fee as follows:
- Professional Photography Sitting Fee (2 hours) – $100
- Commercial/Advertising Photography Fee (3 hours) – $200
- Full Day Photo Session Fee (8 hours) – $300
*All fees include admission for four people plus the photographer.
- Reservations must be made for every photography session. Showing up without reservations may result in the refusal of allowances due to previously scheduled events.
- Changing rooms may be available upon reservation. Due to many events and visitors at the Garden, changing rooms may not be available upon demand. If you need a space, please make arrangements with Facility Rental when you make your photography reservations.
If you are interested in the opportunity to take amazing, timeless photos at Huntsville Botanical Garden, please download the Photography Application or call 256-830-4447, extension 237. The Garden awaits you!