Bi-monthly Environmental Education and Nature Studies in the Garden
Each program uses the Garden’s 112 acres of developed and natural areas as a teaching classroom, while connecting to STEM and Common Core Standards.
Click on the age group/date to register.
Session 1: Sunlight/light
Light from the sun plays a critical role in life on our planet. Students will discover how light travels and the effects of sunlight on the planet for all living and non-living things.
K-2nd: February 28 12-1:30pm
3rd-5th: March 2 12-1:30pm
6th-8th: March 2 12-1:30pm
Session 2: Geology
Geology has shaped our planet and revealed the history of changes in the land, water and air. Students will develop an understanding of the geologic cycle and explore the geology record of the local area.
K-2nd: March 28 12-1:30pm
3rd-5th: March 30 12-1:30pm
6th-8th: March 30 12-1:30pm
April: Bringing Fossils to Life
In anticipation of our new Dinosaurs Uproar Alive! Exhibit that opens in May, students will piece together the information that fossils give us on the organisms that lived millions of years ago. There weren’t just dinosaurs! We will look at plants and even the smallest of the creatures that used to exist.
K-2nd: April 11 12-1:30pm
3rd-5th: April 13 12-1:30pm
6th-8th: April 13 12-1:30pm
Registration & Cancellation:
- Participants must be pre-registered for all programs. There will be no registration the day of programs due to supply and class size limitations.
- Registration and payment for classes may be made online or by calling the Education Department.
- Refunds will be given as a credit to participants who do not attend their scheduled program if the garden is given a 48 hour advance notice.
- HBG reserves the right to cancel any program if a minimum number of participants are not registered. If this happens, another class option or 100% refund of registration fees will be offered.
- Contact the Education Department if you have questions:
Soozi Pline: email@example.com 256-830-4447 Ext 252
Misty Hertzig: firstname.lastname@example.org 256-830-4447 Ext 253
All classes meet in the education classrooms and will include inside and outside experiences.