Bi-monthly Environmental Education and Nature Studies in the Garden
Each program uses the Garden’s 112 acres of developed and natural areas as a teaching classroom while connecting to STEM and Common Core Standards.
Click on the age group/date to register
Geography and Cartography
Celebrate Geography Awareness with this hands-on session. Students will dive into the world of cartography and explore local and global geography.
Protons, Electrons…and Light?
The aurora borealis, or northern lights, are a beautiful phenomenon that has an amazing scientific explanation. We will look at how protons, electrons, and Earth’s magnetic fields interact to create the amazing auroras up in the sky. We will finish with a holiday-themed project that you can use to make your home festive for the season.
The State of the Birds
“The mission of the Migratory Bird Initiative is to secure the future of migratory birds in the Western Hemisphere by reducing direct threats and protecting key places across the Americas in coordination with science, conservation and policy partners.” -Audubon.org
Students will learn about what the initiative means, the science used to support their goals, and how they can be part of it.
Plants! Plants! Plants!
Let’s celebrate what makes the Garden so beautiful all year long: plants! We will learn about plant lifecycles, uses, and defenses. Come enjoy this hands-on exploration of plants and their amazing qualities.
Registration & Cancellation:
- Participants must be pre-registered for all programs. There will be no registration the day of programs due to supply and class size limitations.
- Registration and payment for classes may be made online or by calling the Education Department.
- Refunds will be given as a credit to participants who do not attend their scheduled program if the garden is given 48-hour advance notice.
- HBG reserves the right to cancel any program if a minimum number of participants are not registered. If this happens, another class option or 100% refund of registration fees will be offered.
- Contact the Education Department if you have questions:
Misty Hertzig: email@example.com 256-830-4447 Ext 253
All classes meet in the education classrooms and will include inside and outside experiences.
All Education Programs are presented by: