What is iNaturalist and how does it work?
Huntsville Botanical Garden’s iNaturalist project is here to help budding naturalists survey the amazing diversity of plant, insect, and animal life they may see while visiting the Garden.
- In 2008, the California Academy of Science launched the online app iNaturalist connecting naturalist, citizen scientists and biologist to a new concept of mapping and sharing observations of biodiversity across the globe.
- Database of observed species that is accessible by everyone
- Findings are shared with scientific data repositories like the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF)
- iNaturalist allows you to observe a species, take a picture, and upload/share it on your computer or mobile device.
- iNaturalist helps users keep track of living organisms they see, get help with identifying something you find and learn about nature.
Contribute to the data collected about the plants and animals we find in the Garden to the projects we have posted on the official Huntsville Botanical Garden account.
- Be a Citizen Scientist!
- Do it every month!
- New list every month of species to look for and record!
- The more people participate regularly the better data we can collect!
How to get iNaturalist
- Access the website on a computer or other mobile device
- Download the app on any Android or Apple phone or tablet
(Search for iNaturalist)
- Set up an account for each person that will be participating
- You will need the following information to set up an account:
- Select Central Time as the time zone
- Click on create account
Joining a project
From the dashboard of your account page after you have signed in:
- Go to Community >Projects >Search for HSVBG
- Select the HSVBG Invasive Species October 2018*
- Click Join
- Confirm “Yes, I want to join”
*You will need to join a new project each month to participate. Each month will have a different focus and species list to find.
How to add an observation
Adding an observation on a mobile device:
- Select NEW OBSERVATION
- You can take a photo or upload a photo that you have already taken.
- Tap on WHAT DID YOU SEE? to get suggestions if you are not sure of what it is. Select a species.
- The time and date will automatically populate.
- Tap LOCATION and select GET CURRENT LOCATION (It should populate the Garden)
- Tap ADD TO PROJECT and select the current month’s project for the Garden.
- Tap the check mark in the top right corner to complete the process
Adding an observation on a computer:
- Click on ADD OBSERVATIONS
- Select a photo that you have uploaded to your computer
- Enter in the species name or load suggestions if you are unsure and select the correct species
- Enter the time and date if it doesn’t automatically populate
- Click in the location box and type in to search for the Huntsville Botanical Garden (If you don’t have the exact coordinates for the picture, this will get it to show up on our grounds)
- Select Projects and add it to the current HSVBG Project for the month.
- Click Submit Observation