Gardening 101: Warm Season Vegetables
April 22, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Have you ever wanted to learn to grow vegetables? Do you need to learn how to grow them better? Let’s go back to basics on how to grow warm-season vegetables. This class will cover the following:
• Factors to determine an optimum site for a vegetable garden. • Choosing the garden structure (raised bed, in the ground) that is suited for you.
• Identify the best times to start your warm season garden from seed and transplants.
• Create a crop rotation plan that you can follow throughout the growing season and into future gardening seasons.
• Learn how plant families fit into your garden plan.
• Tips for selecting from hybrid, heirloom, open-pollinated vegetable seeds, and transplants.
• Learn about incorporating companion plants, pollinator plants, trap, and cover crops within your garden plan.
Capacity is limited, so reserve your spot today!
Additional Information: This class will take place in person at the Huntsville Botanical Garden and will include time in the Demonstration Vegetable Garden. Please come dressed appropriately for the weather.
Interested in becoming a Garden member? Click here!
About Susan Parker:
Susan Parker became a Master Gardener in the fall of 2017. While volunteering at the Huntsville Botanical Garden, Susan worked in several areas – the greenhouses, Plant Sale, kitchen garden, & the Demonstration Vegetable Garden (DVG). As of 2020, Susan has coordinated the activities at the DVG, utilizing the expertise of the Master Gardeners of North Alabama (MGNA) as well as garden volunteers. She has found her volunteer efforts at the Demonstration Vegetable Garden serve as an excellent project to share the love of plants & gardening with volunteers as well as guests who stop by to visit, & feels that the DVG also serves as an ambassador for the Huntsville area.KBAsk a question or post an update…