- This event has passed.
Homeschool – January
January 23, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm CST
Session 1: Wintering Waterfowl
Wheeler Wildlife Refuge supports the largest concentration of wintering waterfowl in Alabama every year. This can include up to 60,000 geese and nearly 125,000 ducks. Students will have an opportunity to get ready for the Festival of the Cranes (January 13-14, 2018) at the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge Visitor’s Center in Decatur by learning more about the various waterfowl that call the refuge home along with the well-known species of cranes.
K-2nd: January 9 12-1:30pm
3rd-5th: January 11 12-1:30pm
6th-8th: January 11 12-1:30pm
Session 2: Animal Superpowers
It’s a bird, it’s a bat, no it’s an octopus! Comic books aren’t the only place you will find superpowers. There are some intriguing animals that have superpowers of their own like: echolocation, magnetic sense, shapeshifting, absorbing powers, and chemical weapons. Students will discover amazing animals and the powers they use to survive in a variety of different habitats.
K-2nd: January 23 12-1:30pm
3rd-5th: January 25 12-1:30pm
6th-8th: January 25 12-1:30pm
Registration & Cancellation:
- Participants must be pre-registered for all programs. There will be no registration the day of programs due to supply and class size limitations.
- Registration and payment for classes may be made online or by calling the Education Department.
- Refunds will be given as a credit to participants who do not attend their scheduled program if the garden is given a 48-hour advance notice.
- HBG reserves the right to cancel any program if a minimum number of participants are not registered. If this happens, another class option or 100% refund of registration fees will be offered.
- Contact the Education Department if you have questions:
Soozi Pline: email@example.com 256-830-4447 Ext 252
Misty Hertzig: firstname.lastname@example.org 256-830-4447 Ext 253
All classes meet in the education classrooms and will include inside and outside experiences.