The Youth Volunteer Program engages teenagers in hands-on outdoor work at the Garden during the summertime. Under the mentorship of STEM professionals, participants gain real-world experience in horticulture, environmental education, and plant conservation, allowing them to explore careers in the green sector, cultivate their personal connection to the environment, and contribute to the work of the Garden in an authentic and meaningful way.
We are now accepting applications for the 2021 Youth Volunteer Program! Applications are due by March 22, 2021. To learn more about the Youth Volunteer Program, view the application materials below, or scroll down for more details.
About the Youth Volunteer Program
Who should participate in the program?
This is an opportunity for motivated young volunteers (ages 13-18) who want to spend time outdoors, learn something new, and make a difference in their environment.
When and where does the program take place?
Youth volunteers are required to serve a minimum of 30 volunteer hours between June 1 and July 31, 2021. All volunteer work takes place on site at the Garden.
What kind of volunteer work do the participants do?
Working directly with members of the Garden staff, youth volunteers gain firsthand experience in three areas: horticulture, environmental education, and plant conservation. Here are some examples of tasks that volunteers may complete:
– Assist in maintaining the Garden grounds (planting, mulching, weeding, watering, etc.)
– Assist in maintaining the greenhouse (planting, repotting, propagation, watering, etc.)
– Learn about invasive species management and help with removal of invasive species
– Support summer science camp programs
– Help gather information and brainstorm for educational materials
– Learn about plant documentation and help record plant data
– Assist with plant conservation research projects
Participants also have the opportunity to meet local professionals in Alabama’s “green industry” during presentations about green careers.
What do participants gain from this experience?
– Volunteer hours for resumes and college applications
– Mentorship and professional references
– Firsthand exploration of careers in STEM
– Deepened personal connection to nature and their role in the environment
– Personal, professional, and social growth
How to Apply
To apply to the Youth Volunteer Program, applicants must submit:
– A completed 2021 Application Form
– An essay demonstrating why they want to volunteer at the Garden (500 words maximum)
– A reference letter from an adult other than a parent or guardian
Completed applications can be submitted via email to email@example.com or via mail to the Huntsville Botanical Garden. Before acceptance to the program, all participants must also complete a brief interview.
Applications are due by March 22, 2021.
2021 Important Dates
March 22: Application deadline
March 23 – April 14: Selection process and applicant interviews
April 19 – 23: Notification via email of selection
May: Training sessions
June 1 – July 31: Dates to complete volunteer work
August: Recognition and certification of completion
For more information about the Youth Volunteer Program, please contact Misty Hertzig at firstname.lastname@example.org or 256-830-4447 ext. 253.